St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery

History

St. Joseph Cemetery was the first diocesan cemetery to serve Catholics in the Sacramento area starting in 1865. Located on 21st Street just past Broadway in the Curtis Park section of Sacramento. The first person buried was James O’Hara. He was killed in a steamboat Accident. Bishop Manogue, the founding Bishop of St. Joseph Cemetery was buried in a special mausoleum prepared for him and his successors.